Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Holidays from Ohio

End the Past Year with Some Holiday Cheer

‘Twas the night before Christmas and Beefy was bored,
Flipping through channels, drinking coke that I poured.
"It’s a Wonderful Life" seemed a wise choice to me,
TB, her Mom, and myself totaled 3.

With night 4 of Chanukah and Christmas about,
It’s time to start writing, rather than shout.
An ode then to all that was 2008,
The highs and the lows, the crappy and great.

Moving to Ohio where the weather plain blows,
The rain, the wind, and the snow are my foes.
I got a bad cold and was sick for a week,
Jobless and broke, my situation was bleak.

But TB got straight A’s and did great in school,
Supporting yours truly with groceries and fuel.
We’ve mostly adjusted and today I got work,
Thank God for Trinity: A video store clerk.

I’ve been working out and can run a 5K,
I honestly never thought I’d see the day.
Setting goals is key and keeps me on track,
Especially when I’m in the mood for a juicy Big Mac.

I long for old Boston, the game day high fives,
Several old friends have turned girlfriends to wives.
We’re all growing up, some quicker than others,
But even far apart, they’re all still my brothers.

I do miss my family, though we talk every day,
They loyally read every word that I say.
From movies to sports to the babble I write,
They always find humor laced with a sarcastic bite.

Speaking of sports, what a year it has been,
My beloved Celtics continue to win.
On pace to break records with Rondo a star,
For a second I almost forget M.L. Carr.

I know they’ll beat up L.A. tomorrow,
To heal me from feeling any Red Sox sorrow,
The Yankees spending has left me all hollow,
All hail the wealthy, Teixeira will follow.

I’m sure they’ll be fine, just likes the Pats
Marching onward with the confidence of Minnesota Fats.
Brady is down, but Cassel is a winner,
I can’t wait for tomorrow’s ham and latke dinner (no joke!)

This year the best shows were "The Office" and "Lost,"
That flash-forward business had me all turned and tossed.
Better than anything at the movies for sure,
Will "Benjamin Button" finally be the cure?

"10,000 B.C." was the worst of all-time,
"Burn After Reading" wasn’t worth a dime,
Movies about women were hideously bad,
"The Women" and "Mamma Mia" simply made me mad.

"Narnia" sucked, "Tropic Thunder" was a bore,
And "Sex and the City" was quite a lame chore.
To the library I went to rent some old hits,
Nearly all of them boasted superior wits.

I’ve hardly played cards, but a break is ok,
Not like I’ve had the resources anyway.
I may soon be teaching the young kids again,
If I ever get a call back, who knows if and when?

For now I’ll look forward to 2009,
A full year in the Midwest to think and to whine.
I’m half-kidding though, things are turning around,
Maybe by then a writing job I’ll have found.

But I do have my health, my friends, fam., and T.B.,
I’m actually a pretty lucky guy don’t you see?
Can’t wait for tomorrow morning's parade with Al Roker,
See you all in July from the World Series of Poker.

Happy Holidays,
Z

No comments: